Do You Know Where Your Documents Are?

Posted on: June 23rd, 2016

It seems everything these days is digital. But even in this tech age, you may have to replace a lost or stolen document. Here are resources for obtaining hard copies of important documents.

Birth Certificate: If you need a birth certificate and you were born in the U.S., contact the vital records office in the state where you were born (go to to find information for each state).

Marriage or Divorce Certificate: You can replace a marriage or divorce certificate through the vital records office in the state where the event took place ( for certified copies in Iowa).

Divorce Decree: Contact the county clerk of court’s office for the city or county in which the divorce was granted.

Social Security Card: If you need a replacement or new Social Security card, print and fill out Form SS-5 (at and mail it to the Social Security Administration with your original U.S.-issued driver’s license, state-issued non-driver ID card or U.S. passport.  However, because the Social Security Administration does not accept photocopies of the required forms of identification, it may be safer to apply in person at the nearest Social Security branch office.  Residents of a few states (including Iowa) can replace a lost or stolen card, when not requesting any changes to the card, through the my Social Security tool at

Read more news articles »